GMA Foundations (GMA) provides grantmaking, administrative, financial management, and consulting services to foundations, philanthropic families, and giving programs that support a wide range of local, national, and international causes.
We are seeking a full-time HR and Operations Coordinator who will provide a variety of human resources, technology, and business support services for our organization. This position supports GMA’s success by providing critical organizational support to the company as a whole. Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are required. An outstanding commitment to accuracy, detail and discretion is a must, together with a proactive, flexible, team-oriented and collaborative work style.
The HR and Operations Coordinator will have opportunities to expand their knowledge about the field of philanthropy and participate in various projects to ensure the smooth operations of a growing firm. At GMA we focus on long-term positions, with ongoing learning and professional development opportunities.
GMA’s mission is rooted in our belief in the transformative nature of philanthropy, that each of us in this field has the capacity to help shape a more just and equitable future. We are accelerating our efforts to become more diverse, culturally competent, inclusive and equitable. We value and promote diversity in our employee’s backgrounds, origins, and ideas and work to maximize employee growth and satisfaction. Read more about our values on our website.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The HR and Operations Coordinator will be supervised by the Director of Operations.
Human Resources responsibilities include:
- Process payroll, including payroll changes and supporting documentation, monitor employee’s time tracking compliance, and track and process time-off requests.
- Administer various employee benefit plans and communications; manage the annual open enrollment process for each plan, and evaluate and advise on benefit plan Serve as liaison to various benefits vendors/provider representatives and to GMA’s health benefits broker.
- Manage employees’ performance evaluation process.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment.
- Partner with the CEO and GMA leadership team to understand and execute the organization’s human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning.
- Coordinate an inclusive hiring and talent acquisition process, including maintaining postings for open positions, scheduling and overseeing interviews and the hiring of qualified job applicants; collaborating with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Oversee and coordinate new employee on-boarding process to ensure that new employees are welcome and have the ongoing training needed to succeed at GMA.
- Partner with staff members and leadership to foster continuous learning and professional development across the organization.
- Coordinate updates to employee handbook and maintain internal policies.
- Perform other related duties, as necessary.
Technology and General Business Operations responsibilities include:
- Manage business infrastructure, including equipment, information technology resources, and cyber security.
- Implement and maintain WISP (Written Information Security Program) and update, as needed.
- Research and implement future technology needs.
- Manage, coordinate and support maintenance matters related to our office suite.
- Oversee maintenance of office supply inventory.
- Coordinate workflow and manage coverage during employee absences.
- Oversee staff timekeeping compliance and generate regular time reports.
- Manage company business contracts alongside Director of Operations.
- Manage website and domain registrations for GMA and client websites.
- Improve and develop the operational systems, processes and policies in support of GMA’s mission.
- Other assignments and special projects as requested by the Director of Operations.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any area of study and 3+ years of human resources or business operations experience (including internships and/or volunteer experience), or Associate’s degree with 6+ years of human resources or business operations experience (as detailed above).
- PHR/SPHR certification or willingness to seek certification if not already achieved.
- Previous human resources or operations experience in similar sized organization.
- Previous nonprofit or foundation experience.
Qualifications (knowledge and skills)
- Able to communicate in a clear, tactful, pleasant, and professional manner both verbally and in writing.
- Able to draft professional correspondence with accurate grammar and spelling.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
- Superior organizational skills and proven ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Proactive, problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently in a reliable manner, with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge and understanding of human resources practices and processes.
- A commitment to the mission and values of GMA.
- Openness to organizational growth and change.
- Knowledge and understanding of philanthropy and the nonprofit field.
- Knowledge of additional software – PowerPoint, WordPress, Constant Contact.
Our work week is M – F, from 9 AM to 5 PM. Our office is located in downtown Boston. After an introductory period of onboarding and training, staff members may take advantage of our hybrid work policy, with at least two-days in our office weekly. Our schedule may include early morning and evening meetings, and occasional weekend meetings. Flexible office hours are arranged, as appropriate. GMA staff occasionally travel to various locations, urban and rural, to participate in site visits, client meetings, and educational programs. Valid drivers’ license or ability to travel by public transportation is required.
The position requires long hours of sitting, as well as some standing and walking, using office equipment and computers, and may also include some light lifting of supplies and materials.
Salary range: $60,000 – $68,000
GMA is an employee friendly company offering excellent benefits: paid vacation, holidays, and sick days; health, vision, and dental insurance; medical and dependent care FSA; paid family and medical leave; and a 401k plan with employer match.
Please send resume and cover letter to Carolyn Rau at email@example.com
We encourage submission of application materials by August 30, 2023. We hope to fill this position before mid-October, 2023, though the position will remain open until filled.