GMA Foundations (GMA) provides grantmaking, administrative, financial management, and consulting services to foundations, philanthropic families, and giving programs that support a wide range of local, national, and international causes.
We are seeking a full-time Program Associate who will be responsible for all administrative management associated with assigned client foundations’ grantmaking and program activities, and assist with a range of other administrative duties. Program Associates may be responsible for some entry-level Program Officer duties, including leading an administrative team, grant application reviews, and/or direct client relationship management. Program Associates have opportunities to expand their knowledge about the field of philanthropy and may also participate in various projects. At GMA we focus on long-term positions, with ongoing learning and professional development opportunities.
GMA’s mission is rooted in our belief in the transformative nature of philanthropy, that each of us in this field has the capacity to help shape a more just and equitable future. We are accelerating our efforts to become more diverse, culturally competent, inclusive and equitable. We value and promote diversity in our employee’s backgrounds, origins, and ideas and work to maximize employee growth and satisfaction.
Read more about our values on our website.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Program Associate will be supervised by a Program Officer or Senior Program Officer, while working on several client teams.
Program Associate responsibilities include:
- Oversee client foundations’ administrative activities, assigning duties to other administrative staff, as needed.
- Support the grantmaking process for several foundation clients, including: respond to applicant and grantee questions; manage flow of proposals; schedule site visits; correspond with applicants and board members; and process grant payments.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of all materials for client board meetings and coordinate or oversee coordination of meeting logistics.
- Attend client board meetings, as needed, and prepare official meeting minutes.
- Conduct some grant proposal reviews, including site visits and interviews with applicants and grantees, with supervision/mentoring of a Senior Program Officer.
- Prepare summaries of grant proposals, including analysis of financial documents and of alignment with foundations’ grantmaking priorities and guidelines.
- Develop and oversee standard terms and conditions for grant application and evaluation forms, award letters, agreements and contracts.
- Maintain accurate filing of client documents.
- Enter data, including in grants management system, and generate reports, or oversee data entry and report generation by a Foundation Assistant.
- Monitor grantee reporting requirements.
- Compose, merge, and send correspondence, or oversee correspondence preparation by a Foundation Assistant.
- Confirm and request financial data from accounting department.
- Communicate and work with other advisors, including accounting, legal, and investment advisors to support the needs of clients.
- Represent the foundation, as requested, in public meetings and events.
- Assist other administrative staff during peak work cycles to ensure high level of client services.
- Handle other tasks as assigned.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any area of study and 3+ years of administrative experience (including internships and/or volunteer experience), including 1.5+ years as a Foundation Assistant or Foundation Administrator, or 3+ years of administrative experience in the nonprofit field (including internships and/or volunteer experience)
- or Associate’s degree with 5+ years of administrative experience (as detailed above).
- Previous foundation experience and interaction with foundation directors/board members.
- Previous experience managing client relationships.
Qualifications (knowledge and skills)
- Excellent customer service approach, able to communicate in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent writing skills, able to draft professional correspondence with accurate grammar and spelling.
- Knowledge and understanding of the nonprofit field.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
- Knowledge of grantmaking software and experience working with databases.
- Superior organizational skills and proven ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Proactive, problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently in a reliable manner, with minimal supervision.
- Substantial knowledge in one or more areas of the nonprofit field.
- Knowledge of additional software – PowerPoint, WordPress, Constant Contact.
Our work week is M – F, from 9 AM to 5 PM. Our office is located in downtown Boston. After an introductory period of onboarding and training, staff members may take advantage of our hybrid work policy, with at least two days in our office weekly. Our schedule may include early morning and evening meetings, and occasional weekend meetings. Flexible office hours are arranged, as appropriate. GMA staff occasionally travel to various locations, urban and rural, to participate in site visits, client meetings, and educational programs. Valid drivers’ license or ability to travel by public transportation is required.
The position requires long hours of sitting, as well as some standing and walking, using office equipment and computers, and may also include some light lifting of supplies and materials.
Salary range: $48,000-$52,000.
GMA is an employee-friendly company offering excellent benefits: paid vacation, holiday, sick days and medical leave; health, vision, and dental insurance; medical and dependent care FSA; and a 401k plan with employer match.
- Please send resume and cover letter to Carolyn Rau at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We encourage submission of application materials by November 1, 2023.
- Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. Please include “Application for Program Associate” in the subject line of your email.
GMA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a culture that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified individuals will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, political affiliation, veteran or disability status, or any other legally protected classification.