GMA Foundations (GMA) provides grantmaking, administrative, financial management, and consulting services to foundations, philanthropic families, and giving programs that support a wide range of local, national, and international causes. We are seeking a full-time Non-profit Accountant.
The person hired as Non-profit Accountant will provide a variety of bookkeeping and accounting services for private foundation clients, reconcile investment reports, create financial reports, and manage the auditing process. Beyond these responsibilities, the Non-profit Accountant will have opportunities to learn more about the field of philanthropy and participate in various projects. At GMA we focus on long-term positions, with ongoing learning and professional development opportunities. There is opportunity for quick growth for the person in this position, moving into a more senior accounting or management role.
GMA’s mission is rooted in our belief in the transformative nature of philanthropy, that each of us in this field has the capacity to help shape a more just and equitable future. We are accelerating our efforts to become more diverse, culturally competent, inclusive and equitable. We value and promote diversity in our employee’s backgrounds, origins, and ideas and work to maximize employee growth and satisfaction.
Read more about our values on our website.
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Non-profit Accountant will be supervised by GMA’s Chief Financial Officer, while working with several client teams and with GMA’s operations staff. Responsibilities include:
- Handle all client bookkeeping duties as specified in Client Scope of Services, which includes accounting on QuickBooks system, check cutting, processing wires, and bank reconciliations
- Reconcile investment activity and post activity to general ledger
- Generate financial reports for board meetings; present reports, as needed
- Prepare annual foundation operating budgets and budget to actual reports
- Process quarterly estimated tax payments
- Monitor assigned clients’ progress toward meeting annual payout requirements
- Manage annual audit or review process, with external auditors
- Prepare annual reports and schedules
- Prepare reports needed for preparation of annual tax returns and review drafts of tax returns, following up with accountants as needed to ensure accuracy
- Assist clients in implementing and maintaining internal controls
- Serve as liaison with accountants, banks and investment firms
- Assist in onboarding process for new clients
- Assist with preparation and filing of annual 1099s for independent contractors
- Perform other duties as required by the CFO, President, and/or CEO.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Combination of work experience and certification totaling either:
5 years of experience in a bookkeeping or accounting position and a BA degree in accounting or finance, or a Certificate of accounting if BA is in an unrelated field;
9 years of experience in a bookkeeping or accounting position and a BA degree in any field
- Understanding of confidentiality and ethical standards required of accounting professionals
- High level of proficiency in: QuickBooks Premier Plus, MS Office (particularly Excel), Bill.com, ShareFile, and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- Superior organizational skills and proven ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to draft business correspondence and write reports
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage client relationships in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner
- Strong analytical, research, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently in a reliable manner, with minimal supervision
- Non-profit accounting experience
- Previous experience managing client relationships
Our work week is M – F, from 9 AM to 5 PM. Our office is located in downtown Boston, and staff members may take advantage of our new hybrid work policy after three months, with at least two-days in our Boston office weekly. Our schedule often includes early morning and evening meetings, and occasional weekend meetings. Flexible office hours are arranged, as appropriate.
GMA staff occasionally travel to various locations, urban and rural, to participate in client meetings and educational programs. Valid drivers’ license or ability to travel by public transportation is required. The position requires long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, and includes some light lifting of supplies and materials.
Salary range: $65,000-$75,000 commensurate with experience
GMA is an employee friendly company offering excellent benefits: paid vacation, holiday and sick days; health, vision, and dental insurance; medical and dependent care FSA; and a 401k plan with employer match.
Please send resume and cover letter to Leah Even Chorev at email@example.com. Resumes will be considered on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. Please include “Application for Non-profit Accountant” in the subject line of your email.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.